Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tamalpa Headlands 50K - 2011- Put this on your re-todo list.


 I am ultra lucky to live so close to the Marin Headlands which allows me to run so many great races.

Lets see here, in the past 9 months, I have run the Marin Headlands in 4 different races... Headlands 100 Mile (as a pacer), Miwok 100K, The North Face Endurance Challenge 50M, and Saturday's Tamalpa Headlands 50K. These four races pretty much cover every single track, fire trail, and site of geographical importance in "The Headlands." What makes this race so special is that it has to be the best 50K in the area. More about that statement later...

Until this year, it has been known as the Headlands 50K. For many reasons, this race actually hasn't occurred since 2008. A note on the race website (see below) may have something to do with that and led me believe that this was going to be a special race.


Co-founder of the Headlands 50K and long time race coordinator Jerry Leith passed away on July 7th, 2011. His dedication and contributions to the running community are legendary. He will be deeply missed by all. 


Without having ever met you, Jerry. I say thank you for a good thing - The Tamalpa Headlands 50K. You made my day. Well, so did Co-Race Directors Tim and Diana Fitzpatrick. Early spring I had simple intentions to run this race to support their effort to give re-birth to the Tamalpa Headlands 50K. And, with help from the rest of the club and volunteers, they produced an incredible event in my favorite ultra habitat: the Marin Headlands / Mt. Tamalpais region (Just a few miles north of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge for those who may not be so familiar).


Getting ready for the start... FOG is gonna hang around today. Tim on the mic.
As part of the Pacific Association's Ultrarunning circuit for USATF, I headed up with 7 other members of the Quicksilver Running Club's ultra racing team. While every race is important for the team, it was equally important that we show our support to our friends and ultra-rivals, Tamalpa Runners. Clare Abram, Bree Lambert and I carpooled to the start. Clare just ran Waldo 100K (6th place) last week, and Bree was well rested from here Tahoe Rim Trail 100 Mile win last month. Also, joining the fun from Quicksilver Ultra Racing Team was superstud Inov-8 sponsored Gary Gellin, Larry Liu, Marco Denson, and ladies Adona "Summer" Ramos and Kat Powell. Adona has two PAUSATF 50K wins (Quicksilver and Skyline) this year and was also ready to rock.
Bree, myself, and Clare


For the Sponsor: The Running Revolution in Campbell and Santa Cruz

Adona "Summer" Ramos


Now back to me... :-) When I ran my first Ultra in 2007, I participated in The North Face Endurance Challenge 50K. If the TNF wasn't in the Headlands, then I may not be running ultra's today. Why? Because I absolutely fell in love with the trails and experience they provided.

Here is a little video from my experience:



Now that you're dizzy or pissed off that I didn't edit that down, let me tell you why you must put this race on your "re-todo list". First of all, by taking the best of the single tracks (less Boot Jack into the Muir Woods basin), makes it a true trail/ultrarunners dream come true. Add in 60 degree temps and some of the best pacific ocean views and breezes anywhere and you got exactly what you wanted. But, in all reality, we also measure the success of an event by its production value. It was a flawlessly executed event from the participants side. Here's my checklist:

1. Parking close to start - check
2. Lotsa parking - check
3. Flat start to catchup with friends - check
4. Steep climb out of the way in first 3 miles - check
5. Killer Pacific Ocean views - check
6. Volunteers dressed as farm animals - check
7. Lots of volunteers - check
8. Overstocked aid stations - check (less the Coke that ran out :-))
9. Dipsea Trail - check
10. Steep Revine Ladder -check
11.  4 mile Downhill finish - check
12. Sausage fest BBQ - real sausages not an overloaded bar with dudes everywhere) - check
13. ENDLESS SUPPLY OF BEER - Sierra Nevada and Stella Artois - CHECK CHECK CHECK
14. I finished- Check

In the end, I finished around 6:22 for 7,500 feet of gain. Not bad for shooting pics, vids, and saying hi to a few dogs and furry animals. Great prep for P2P. Our women's team took 2nd (Bree Lambert), 3rd (Adona Ramos), and 4th (Clare Abram) places. Tamalpa's Suzanna Bon won. For the Men, Leor Pantilat cruised to another 50K victory and because of the new course a "course record" too. Quicksilver RC Ultra Running Teammate Gary Gellin came in second. A great primer for his first 100 miler the following month - The Bear 100. (Gary took 7th at the Bear in 22:44)

In other news... I proved in my photos that there are hot chicks in ultra!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Ultrasignup results can be found here: Tamalpa Headlands 50K Results

Now for some photos:
Gary getting warmed up... or is he still chasing Leor?


Fitting that this pic has Jason already running to his 1,345 race of the year.

Joe Swenson for a quick photo.

There's my Ric Pic!

"Yah, I am bad ass, how about you?"

Lets do this!

Grant Sisler  Nice run dude!  5:17 Our primer before Pine to Palm 100 in 3 weeks.




114 steps out of Pirates Cove... everytime!

Jason's goodside - Erika


 I had to stop and talk to these fellow Weimaraner owners. Wow, they have 3. The one in the back is called a California Blue Weimaraner (yep a hybrid) I had found out just a few days before that my dog had a terminal cancer. His name was Niner, also a Weimaraner. See Below.
GOOD BOY, NINER!

Maybe not a farm animal!

Female Chewbaca?

Notice all the Tamalpa Runners I am capturing.... The other Erika!

This is me!  Get up that Miwok Trail.... One of the few firetrails.

Grant's Wife: Shawna!!!!

Less pics... more running, Greg!

Yah, he passed me too!